With tradicional methods, omega-3 is usually obtained from small size marine fish or fish-by products by a physical process that implies cooking, pressing and centrifuging. These methods produce a fish oil with a lot of impurities and low contents of omega-3 (less than 30%) that must be refined (using high temperatures and/or organic solvents to remove impurities and toxic compounds) and, later, concentrated (with procedures that are not able to isolate EPA and DHA in the chemical form that is easier metabolized by our body and more stable against oxidation).
The supercritical fluid technology is the alternative to these conventional methods: It allows to avoid the use of high temperatures, uses a green solvent (cabon dioxide, CO2) non toxic and easy to separate from the product after its processing, allows recover most of the oil without degradation of the omega-3, produces high quality oil (removing a very high % of impurities) and obtains combinations of omega-3 over 90% (EPA up to 95%, DHA up to 80%).
Therefore, a supplement of EPA and DHA obtained by Supercritical Concentration:
- – Has a very high amount of Omega-3 with respect to the total contents of the oil in the supplement.
- – Offers greater purity and more safety to the consumer.
- – Is absorted (and used) more easily by our body.
- – Is a very stable product (regarding oxidation).
- – And makes it easier to get the required amounts of EPA and DHA in fewer capsules.